Lot 5, 128 E Main St., the Kretzer House (5-8-06)
Complete. Compiled from deeds and from the Historic Structures Survey (1991, Julie Mueller). Updated by Brad Toole 8jan05
Lot 5 has always been owned intact, rather than being divided lengthwise like most of the lots in town. On it stands one of the most well-known houses in town, a fine stone structure where perhaps 100 townspeople sheltered during the Battle of Antietam, and young Teresa Kretzer defiantly displayed a large Union flag within sight of Confederate soldiers, then succeeded in hiding and saving it from them.
From the deeds, the present house was built by Peter Ham, a tanner, sometime between 1791 and 1831. In 1831 it was occupied by [rented by?] David Beeler, who bought it then.
Where two dates are given, the first is the date that the deed was made and actually signed, and the date in parentheses is the date it was copied and recorded at the courthouse. Buyers and sellers in the later deeds are from Washington County unless otherwise noted. Name spellings varied as written in each deed abstract.
[Items in square brackets are comments or clarifications.]
John Miller bought from Joseph Chapline
January 20 1764 (recorded January 24, Frederick Co. Liber J, folio 110-11)
for 1 shilling
Lot 5, 103 x 260[sic]ft, with profits, advantages and appurtenances, to pay rent of 3s 6p Sterling money of Great Britain to Joseph Chapline yearly on July 9th, from July 9th 1763.
Frederick Keifor bought from John Miller
22 October 1765 (recorded 31 October, Frederick Co. Liber K, folio 308-9)
Lot 5, 103 x 206ft, with profits, advantages and appurtenances, to pay 3s 6p rent, wife Catherine Miller released dower. Keifor also spelled Kioffer. [This price suggests that there was a small structure here.]
Matthias Need bought from Frederick Cooper
20 April 1768 (recorded 2 June, Frederick Co. Liber L, folio 337-8)
Lot 5, 103 x 206ft, with profits, advantages and appurtenances, to pay rents, wife Catherine Cooper released dower. Signed Friedrich Kupter. [from PAA abstracts]
Jacob Neff bought from Matthias Need
25 November 1785 (recorded 26 November, Washington Co. Liber D, folio 571-2)
for ₤22 10s
Lot 5, 103 x 206ft, with profits, advantages and appurtenances, to pay annual rent of 3s 6p sterling money of great britain to Joseph Chapline. Signed (twice) Mattsias Nead, the “s” written like the old f-style s as in “witnefs.”
Frederick Fox bought from Jacob Nafe
7 December 1785 (recorded same date, Washington Co. Liber D, folio 579)
for ₤72 10s
Lot 5, 103 x 206ft, with profits, advantages and appurtenances, to pay 3s 6p rent. Nafe also spelled Nofe.
Peter Ham bought from Frederick Fox
16 July 1791 (recorded 18 July, Liber G, folio 445)
Lot 5, 103 x 206ft, with profits, advantages and appurtenances, to pay 3s 6p rent.
David Beeler bought from George Frederick, executor and Margaret Ham for the Estate of Peter Ham
2 April 1831 (recorded September 24, Liber MM, folio 652-3)
Lot 5, 103 x 206ft, with the stone house now in the possession of David Beeler, to pay 78 cents rent on 9th July yearly. [There is more info to add from this deed]
John Kretzer bought from Jacob Grove, Trustee for David Beeler
1842 (recorded August 5, 1842, Liber ZZ, folio 432)
Lot 5, 103 x 206ft, with the stone house [from HSS]
Katherine F. Adams and Edward M. Garrott bought from George W. Rohrer, executor of the John Kretzer Estate
1936 (recorded August 8, 1936, Liber 201, folio 614)
Lot 5 [from HSS]
Martha & Charles S. Lumm bought from Martha Garrot, Margaret & Stanley Barlup, and Edw. & Serada Garrott (all of Washington, D.C.)
1943 (recorded April 22, 1943, Liber 222, folio 451)
Lot 5 [from HSS]
Martha E. Lumm and Mary Anna Munch bought from Charles E. Wagaman, Trustee for Martha E. Lumm
1971 (recorded October 28, 1971, Liber 532, folio 670)
Lot 5 [from HSS]
Mary Anna & Raymond F. Munch bought from Mary Anna Munch
1987 (recorded June 23, 1987, Liber 849, folio 42)
Lot 5, 107[sic] x 206ft, 22,248ft2, 2-story stone house enclosed area 3,552ft2, with basement. [from HSS and SDAT]