Lot 1 spans the modern properties of the Town Hall and Library, the old Masonic Hall on the street corner (100 and 102 East Main St.), and three houses along the east side of S. Mechanic St., from north to south numbers 105, 107, and 111 S. Mechanic. The Town Hall and Library building replaced a 1˝ story house that was probably on the northeast corner of the lot in 1786, and survived to the early 1900’s.
The town spring rises several
feet south of the southeast corner of this lot.
A special alley runs from
Where two dates are given, the first is the date that the deed was made and actually signed, and the date in parentheses is when it was copied and recorded at the courthouse. Buyers and sellers in the later deeds are from Washington County unless otherwise noted. Name spellings varied as written in each deed abstract. In the later deed abstracts, the street-address numbers are given in square brackets at the beginning of the description of the property. These numbers are not given in the deeds themselves, and they were first assigned sometime after WWII.
[Items in square brackets are comments or clarifications.]
Christopher Cruss bought from Joseph Chapline (both of Frederick County)
20 January, 1764 (recorded 11 February 1764, Frederick County Liber J, folio 132-3)
for 1 shilling current money of Maryland
Lot 1, 103x186’ with all profits, advantages and appurtenances. Paying rent to Joseph Chapline, his heirs and assigns 3 shillings 6 pence sterling money of great Britain yearly from 9th July 1763. Paying also ˝ penny alienation fine. Ruhamah Chapline Relinquished her right of Dower.
Stephell Orendorff bought from Christopher Cruss (both of Washington County)
31 May, 1781 (recorded 23 August, Washington Co. Liber B, folio 518-9)
Lot 1, 103x186’ with all profits, advantages and appurtenances. Paying rent to Joseph Chapline, his heirs and assigns 3 shillings 6 pence Sterling money of Great Britain yearly from 9th July 1781. [didn’t copy 2nd page yet, so don’t have wife’s name, if any]
Conrade Shitz bought from Stophel Orandorff (both of Washington County)
11 March, 1786 (recorded 8 August, Liber E, folio 31-2)
Lot 1, 103x186’ with all profits, advantages and appurtenances. Same rent. Wife Mary Orandorff released dower. [No mention of structures, but this is a high price, suggesting that something was there. Based on the 1791-1799 deeds, the most substantial structure was on the east half, where the modern Town Hall and Library are now.]
Joseph Donaldson mortgaged from Conrad Sheetz (both of Baltimore)
bearing the date of 18 November, 1786 (recorded when? Probably in Baltimore Co.)
for 5 shillings (and ₤534 16s 4˝p owed to Joseph)
Lot 1, 103x186’ with houses, commodities and advantages, with the proviso that Conrad would pay 534 pounds 16 shillings 4 pence half penny with interest on or before 1st October , else it would become forfeit to Joseph. [This info is all from the 1791 deed below, see that for more info. This mortgage was not found in Washington Co.]
John Salmon bought from Joseph Donaldson, both Merchants, of Baltimore Town (in Baltimore Co.)
7 May, 1791 (recorded 24 September, Liber G, folio 497-9)
for ₤471 9s 6p
Lot 1, 103x186’ with houses, commodities and advantages. The property had been seized from Conrad Sheatz of Washington Co., innkeeper, who was justly indebted to Joseph Donaldson for 534 pounds 16 shillings 4 pence half penny. [The 1786 mortgage had required repayment by October 1787, but they worked out other terms according to this deed:] This was to have paid been in three installments, L149..3..7˝ on or before 1 September 1786, then L100 on 12 November 1786, and the remaining part on or before 12 March 1787. Conrad had in fact paid L41..6..6 and L59..16..10˝ and no more, so the property was forfeit to Joseph, and he sells it here. Witnessed by John Hammond and Thomas Donaldson, before Baltimore Co. J.P.’s Abraham Vn Bibber and Isaac Vn Bibber (and their status certified by William Gibson Clk. Balt. Coty
[This deed describes the lot four times as “with houses,” including one time when it cites the terms of the 1786 mortgage. This deed also describes the revised payment terms to which they must have agreed later, then the inadequate payments leading to default, and finally the sale to John. He apparently had the lot sold in parcels by different agents, based on the following deeds. Since he was a Baltimore merchant, he may have recorded deeds or assignments there rather than in Washington County.]
Dennis O'Brian (of Frederick Co., Md) bought from Daniel Stull Esquire, late Sheriff of Washington Co.
26 July, 1793 (recorded 31 December, Liber H, folio 470-2)
for 5 shillings (plus ₤100 paid earlier to John Salmon)
Northwest [1/3 of] Lot 1, 53 x 146’, within these metes and bounds: beginning at the NW front corner of the Lott, running 53’ along the Main Street towards Lot 2, and back 146’ parallel with the street leading towards Antietam Iron Works, ending opposite [in line with] the nearest end to the Main Street of a Barn that stands on Lott 1, then 53’ across the lot to the [NW] corner of the barn, and then up “the street to Antietam Iron Works” to the beginning. With houses, buildings, improvements, etc. No rent mentioned.
The property had been part of the estate of Courod Shitz. Joseph Donaldson of Baltimore Co. had recovered Judgment against Conrod in the General Court of the Western Shore of Maryland on the 2nd Tuesday of October, 1790, for 620 pounds current money and 823 pounds of Tobacco. The costs of suit were to be released on payment of 530 pounds 1shilling 8 pence half penny with interest from 1 December [written over “September”] 1789. A writ of Fieri facias was issued by the Court commanding Sheriff Stull to Levy of the goods and chattles, Lands and tenements of Courod in his Bailiwick.
He seized Lot 1 in Sharpsburg with all houses, stables, buildings and improvements. [The size of the lot is not given; it was all of Lot 1, based on the way it is being divided up in this and the next three deeds] The Sheriff had it appraised by four substantial freeholders of Washington Co. (who were neither of kin nor Debtor or Creditor to either plaintiff or Defendant) to be worth ₤500, whereupon he delivered it to Joseph Donaldson on satisfaction and discharge of so much of the debt, Interest and cost. Joseph has since assigned his interest in all of the Lott to John Salmon [in the 1791 deed], and John has since assigned to Dennis the part of the lot being sold here, for ₤100, and directed Sheriff Stull to execute a deed to Dennis, for another 5 shillings.
[The modest price suggests
that the houses and buildings on this part of the lot were small, and log or
lumber. The barn on the south boundary
was fronting on what is now
[This may be the earliest reference to the “Antietam Iron Works” that we’ve found so far (it was originally called Frederick Forge), and it is the first time that I’ve seen the expression “metes and bounds” used in a town lot prior to the 1900’s.]
Philip Breakley bought from Dennis O'Brian, of Berkeley Co, Commonwealth of Va.
31 December, 1793 (recorded same day, Liber H, folio 472-4)
Northwest [1/3 of] Lot 1, 53 x 146’, as described above, except for requiring ground rents to Joseph Chapline in proportion to what the whole lot is subject to, at the usual time reserved. Before J.P.’s A. Claggett and Adam Ott. Signed, twice, Dennis O’Bryan. [“Dennis” in this and the previous deed was written Dennifs with the old f-style s, followed by a regular script s, and his last name was written OBrian seven times in this deed, but not at his signature. Did not copy the last page, so may have missed the name of a wife releasing dower.]
David Harvey bought from Daniel Stull, Esquire, Sheriff of Washington Co. (seized from Conrod Shitz of Washington Co.)
13 June, 1795 (recorded 29 July, Liber I, folio 292-4)
for 5 shillings (plus ₤50 paid earlier to John Salmon
SW corner Lot 1, 51 x 55’, beginning at the NW corner of a Barn Standing on said lot on the Street Leading from said Town towards Antietam Iron Works and runing along said Street with said Barn 55’ more or less to the alley at the end of said lot, then 51’ along the alley to John Barker’s part of said lot, along his division line 55’ to Philip Breakley’s part of said lot, and with it to the beginning. With the said Barn and all houses, outhouses, Stables, buildings, improvements, profits, priviledges, easments, advantages, tenements, hereditaments, and appurtenances.
Paying yearly to Joseph Chapline at the usual time a part of the ground rent originally reserved on the proportion of the Lot.
This deed describes the earlier court cases and events involving Conrod Shitz, Joseph Donaldson and the rest, almost the same as in the July 1793 deed.
Joseph Donaldson had since assigned his interest in the entire lot of ground and premises to John Salmon, who since assigned and sold this part of the lot (described as given above) to David Harvey, for 50 pounds, and John directed Sheriff Stull to Execute a deed to David. For this David paid 5 shillings. Before J.P.’s A. Clagett and Adam Ott.
[Earlier, in 1788, Mr. Donaldson had recovered a judgment against David Harvey, for the use of John Salmon, involving seizure from David of Lots 105, 106 and 107 in town. These were re-sold by Sheriff Stull to David in Liber H, folio 84-6, made 13 December 1792.]
[The barn and this parcel
were 55’ wide along modern
John Barks bought from Daniel Stull, Esquire, Sheriff of Washington Co. (seized from Courod Shitz of Washington Co.)
30 June, 1795 (recorded 7 November, Liber I, folio 387-9)
for ₤106, 5 shillings (plus 5s paid now)
[East half] of Lot 1, with houses, out houses, Buildings, improvements, [etc], beginning on the main Street at the corner of Lott 2 [see below], 51’ to Philip Breakleys part of said Lot, back to the alley at the end of said Lot, then along this alley to Lot 2 and back to beginning. To pay yearly ground rent to Joseph Chapline in proportion to the part of said Lott.
This deed describes the court cases as in the other two Sheriff Stull sales above. It then describes all of lot 1 as having houses, Stables, Outhouses, Buildings and Improvements, before it goes on to describe the portion of the lot in this deed. [The stable is not included in the east-half description, but it is listed in David Harvey’s deed for the SW corner, so they were particular about the descriptions. That indicates that there was some sort of house on this half of the lot.]
[This part of the lot is said
to begin at the corner of Lott 2, but it actually starts 20’ back from that
corner, to create the wider space for the
David Harvey, Ordinary Keeper bought from John Berg, Farmer
29 August, 1799 (recorded 30 August, Liber M, folio 137-9)
East half of Lot 1, fronting 51˝’ wide on the main Street, extending back to the first alley, with buildings, Improvements, etc. on the same moiety of the Lott erected and built and to the same belonging...also with the revertion and revertions remainder and Remainders rents Issues and profits thereof. To pay ground rents to Joseph Chapline. John’s wife Barbary released dower.
Peter Myers, Farmer bought from David Harvey, Tavern Keeper
17 August, 1799 (recorded 10 September, Liber M, folio 146-7)
Part of Lot 1 in the town of Sharpsburg, where the barn stands [SW corner], and all the ground thereto belonging, which was conveyed by Daniel Stull late Sheriff of said David Harvey under a Judgment against Conrad Sheets. To pay ground rents to Joseph Chapline in proportion to the quantity of ground at the rent of 5s Sterling of Great Britain. David’s wife Mary released dower, before J.P. George Scott, Senr.
[Assuming from the first 1795 deed that this is the same barn at the SW corner of the lot.]
Peter Deterly, Shopkeeper, bought from David Harvey, Gentleman
16 November, 1799 (recorded 19 November, Liber M, folio 229-231)
[East half] of Lot 1, 50’ in front, more or less, extending back the same width to the first alley, with buildings, improvements, etc. on the same part of the lot erected and built and to the same belonging...also with the revertion and revertions remainder and Remainders rents Issues and profits thereof. Where Daniel Goyer now lives. To pay the customary ground rent of 1s 9p to Joseph Chapline. David’s wife Mary released dower, before J.P. George Scott, Senr.
John Lodowick Hovermeal, Weaver, bought from Peter Deterly, Tavern Keeper
24 November, 1800 (recorded 2 December, Liber N, folio 230-1)
[East half] of Lot 1, 50’ in front, as described in the November 1799 deed...where Peter Deterly lives. To pay the customary ground rent of 2 shillings 9d Sterling. Wife Elizabeth relinquished Dower, before J.P.’s John Good and Thomas Crampton. [The increase of rent from 1s 9p to 2s 9p was probably an error, which persisted in later deeds.]
John Lodowick Hovermeal is bound unto Peter Deterly to sell property for him
Recorded February 1801, Liber N, folio 343-4)
[East half of Lot 1] A certain Lot or parcel of ground in Baltimore Co. and also a certain Lot of ground in Sharpsburgh, both with improvements, which had been conveyed to John by Peter in two separate deeds [only one is shown above]. John is desirous and willing to reconvey the property, and he is bound to pay the $3,000 to Peter and several other persons. John is to reconvey the property in such manner and form as Council learned in the Law shall advise or require, and then he shall be repaid the $3,000 by Peter, after which John shall not be damnified by reason of his becoming security.
After John’s first signature, the bond mentions three other bonds: to Leonard Middlecalf, ₤245 payable 15 May, 1803, to Philip Breakeley ₤129 payable 19 November, 1802 and to Jacob Houser ₤30 payable 28 November, 1801. [Philip Breakley owned part of Lot 1, from 1793 to 1832, but also other properties in town.]
John’s (Johan’s) two signatures were duplicated by this courthouse recording clerk, rather than being anglicized with the note “(in German).” His name elsewhere in the bond was anglicized.
[missing the sale deed for Hovermeal.]
John Good bought from Pretier Myers
22 November, 1802 (recorded 23 November, Liber O, folio 577-8)
[SW corner] Part of Lot 1 in the town of Sharpsburg, where the Barn stands, and all the ground thereto belonging, with profits, advantages and appurtenances, which was conveyed by David Harvey to Pretier Myers. To pay the Annual rent, in proportion to the quantity of Ground, at the rate of 3 shillings 6 pence sterling. Pretier signed “in dutch.” [His name was written Pretier seven times, and once as Peter.] Wife Sarah Myers released Dower before J.P.’s Adam Ott and Robert Douglafs.
Jacob Grove bought from John Good
5 June, 1804 (recorded 20 August, Liber P, folio 802-3)
for ₤37.. 10 shillings
[SW corner] Part of Lot 1 in the town of Sharpsburg, where the Barn stands, as above, which was conveyed to John Good by Peter Myers Senr. To pay the Annual rent, in proportion to the quantity of Ground, at the rate of 5 shillings sterling. Wife Hester Good released Dower before J.P.’s Thos. Crampton and George Smith.
[This happens to cite the typical rent rate for an out lot, not a town lot, as was given in the previous deed for this parcel. A deed was recorded in the Liber immediately before this one, between the same men, for 5 out lots. The clerk probably carried over the rent amount from it.]
[some missing deeds scattered throughout, these, at least:
- purchases by Leonard Middlekauff before 1810, by David Trunk or Frunk before 1833, Jacob Good from John Mantz before 1852, by Matthias Spangler (maybe for Out Lot 1 instead), and by John McPherson Brien before 1843.
- sale by John L. Hovermale after 1801]
John Hedrick bought from Leonard Middlekauff
31 May, 1810 (recorded 13 June, Liber W, folio 157-8)
[East half] Part of Lot 1, 50’ in front by 186’ back to the first Alley, with buildings, improvements, advantages and appurtenances, and rents, issues and profits. Customary ground rent of 2s 9p Sterling annually. Also spelled Middlecalf, and signed [as rendered by the clerk] Leonard Midtlekauff or Mittlekaaff. J.P.’s Robert Douglafs and Adam Ott.
[The price suggests that a substantial structure was there.]
Josiah Good bought from John Hedrick
26 March 1814 (recorded 3 May, Liber Z, folio 480-1)
[East half] Part of Lot 1, 50’ in front, and the same width back to the first alley, with buildings, Improvements, advantages and appurtenances, and rents, issues and profits. [Length back to the southern alley was 186’ in the 1810 deed] Ground rent 2s 9p Sterling annually as it becomes due. JP’s George Smith and John Blackford.
Josiah Good bought from Jacob Grove
29 March, 1817 (recorded 31 March, Liber BB, folio 860-1)
[SW corner] All that part of lot number one where the Barn stands, which was conveyed by John Good Senr. to Jacob Grove, with profits, advantages and appurtenances. Annual rent of 5 shillings sterling money of Great Britain, and any rent that may grow due to the State or United States. “ wife of Jacob Grove” released dower. [5s was the normal rent for an out lot.]
[Jacob Rohrbach bought from Matthias Spangler’s heirs]
9 January, 1819 (recorded “___18__,” Liber DD, folio 311-6)
Part of Lot 1 [Possibly the one in town, but maybe Out Lot 1. This deed doesn’t fit the chain so far. Sold with Lot 2, probably an Out Lot, and other lands of Matthias in & near Sharpsburg. Heirs Spangler, Dutty, Baker. Have a copy of this deed but will not enter more here until it is more certain that this was really for part of Town Lot 1.]
Samuel Ruckle bought from Josiah Good
20 October, 1821 (recorded 19 December, Liber FF, folio 520)
[Part of the east half] Part of Lot 1, 50’ wide, that width back to the Division fence, then to the corner post near the stile Houes [could be “still Houes”], from the post a strait line to the Alley, with Buildings, improvements...reversion and reversions remainder and remainders rents Issues and profits. To pay the customary ground rent of 2s 9p sterling. Wife Mary Good released dower.
[So, a house made of stiles,
or a still house (distillery)? In the
1837 deed below it was written “Spring House.”
The description overall is more similar to Josiah’s purchase of the east
half in 1814 than his purchase of the SW corner in 1817. This seems to describe a part of the east
half, presumably fronting on the
[Reversions and remainders have to do with the rights of the return or bequest of an estate. I don’t know if “rents, issues [= yield or profit] and profits” meant that it was actually being rented, or just could be.]
Norman B. Robinson and Baker Tapscott bought from Philip Preakley
18 February, 1832 (recorded 25 February, Liber MM, folio 881-2)
[northwest 1/3] Part of Lot 1, 53 x 148’, with profits, advantages and appurtenances. To pay the Proprietary claim yearly on 9th July. N. B. Robinson and Baker Tapscott acting under the firm of N. B. Robinson & Co. of Washington Co., Md. Philip’s signature is written Prackly [N.B. it was Breakley in his 1793 purchase]. Before J.P.’s James Legget and John. D. Grove.
Charles W. McMinn bought from David & Lidia Trunk [or Frunk]
18 November 1833 (recorded 19 November, Liber OO, folio 621-2)
[SW corner plus parcel on east side] Two parts of Lot 1, the part bought by Josiah Good from Jacob Grove on 29 March 1817 [SW corner], and one other moiety of Lot 1, a 48x23’ part adjoining these “premises,” being part of what Josiah had bought 26 March 1814 from John Hedricks [the east half of the lot], together with buildings and improvements, and the reversions, rents, etc. [no mention of ground rent]
[The 48x23’ parcel is still hard to place. It may have been the southernmost part of the east half, near the town spring, and behind the “division fence” mentioned in the 1821 deed.]
Jeremiah Kuhn bought from Charles W. McMinn
28 June 1834 (recorded 3 July, 1834, Liber PP, folio 209-10)
[SW corner plus parcel on east side] Two parts of Lot 1, as described in the 1833 deed, except it mentions rent: Mr. Kuhn and his heirs are to pay yearly “the proprietors claim that may be come due thereon.” [being the ground rent]
Edmund J. Lee, Trustee, bought in trust from Baker Tapscott and wife
18 April, 1836 (recorded , Liber [RR], folio )
[northwest 1/3, half interest] Part of Lot 1, 53 x 148’, Edmund to re-sell, Philip Brechley had attached a lien for unpaid purchases to this property [from the citation in the 25 November, 1844 deed]
Edmund J. Lee, Trustee, bought in trust from Norman B. Robinson and wife
4 April, 1837 (recorded , Liber SS, folio )
[northwest 1/3, half interest] Part of Lot 1, 53 x 148’, Edmund to re-sell, Philip Brechley had attached a lien to this property for unpaid purchases [from the citation in the 25 November, 1844 deed]
Aaron Kretzer of Sharpsburgh bought from Samuel & Mary Ruckle of Jefferson Co., Va.
12 April, 1837 (recorded 10 May, Liber SS, folio 811)
[Part of the east half] Part of Lot 1, 50’ in front, that width back to the division fence, then to the corner post near the Spring House, from the post a straight line to the alley, with buildings, etc., similar to the description in the 1821 deed. To pay the customary ground rent of 2s 9p sterling to representatives of Joseph Chapline, deceased.
John M.cP. Brien bought from Edmund J. Lee, Trustee [of Jefferson Co., Va.]
Public Sale dated 29 April, 1838 (deed recorded , Liber TT, folio )
[northwest 1/3] Part of Lot 1, 53 x 148’, [from the citation in the 8 September and 25 November 1843 deeds below.]
Robert Gilmor bought from Thomas Keller [late] Sheriff of Washington Co. for John M.cP. Brien
Sale dated 27 July, 1843 (recorded , Liber OHW 1 (44), folio )
[northwest 1/3] Part of Lot 1, 53 x 148’, [from the citation in the 8 September and 25 November 1843 deeds below.]
John A. Mantz (of Frederick Co., Md) bought from John M.cP. & Isabel A. Brien
29 September, 1843 (recorded 21 November, Liber OHW 1 (44), folio 682-3)
1/3] Part of Lot 1, 53
x 148’, at the intersection of the
John A. Mantz (of Frederick Co., Md) bought from Robert & Sarah R.L. Gilmor
8 September, 1843 (recorded 21 November, Liber OHW 1 (44), folio 683-4)
1/3] Part of Lot 1, 53 x 148’, at the
intersection of the
John A. Mantz (of Washington Co.) bought from Edmund J. Lee, Trustee, of Jefferson Co., Va.
25 November, 1843 (recorded 8 December, Liber OHW 1 (44), folio 719-20)
[northwest 1/3] Part of Lot 1, 53 x 148’, as above, sold to Edmund in trust to re-sell them, by Baker Tapscott and wife and Norborne P. Robinson and wife, by their two deeds of 1836 and 1837. Philip Brechley had filed a lien on this property for unpaid purchases, and had agreed with the Defendants (in writing, filed in said Equity cause) that Edmund would be Trustee to sell the parcel of ground and convey it to the purchasers free of the lien.
Edmund had sold the parcel to John M.cP. Brien on 29 April, 1838, for $2,200, which had been fully paid. The parcel and the equitable title and estate of John M.cP. Brien had then been sold by Thomas Keller, late Sheriff, to Robert Gilmore, who with his wife then sold it to John A. Mantz. John Mantz had petitioned the Court in Equity No. 579, and their decree appointing Edmund as Trustee was passed on 22 November, 1843.
Henry J. Keedy bought from Augustin A. Biggs, Trustee [for Aaron Kretzer, apparently]
22 January, 1848 (recorded 28 January, Liber IN 3, folio 135-6)
[East half] House and lot, part of Lot 1, 51 x 206 feet, running back to corner post opposite Spring house, from thence to the Alley, with buildings, improvements, ways, waters, water courses, rights, members, privileges advantages and appurtenances.
Dr. Biggs was named Trustee by the Equity Court 29 September, 1845, in the cause depending between John Kretzer, Complainant and Charlott Kretzer, Widow, Margaret, Noah, Franklin and Dolana [?] Kretzer, Sarah & John Smith, Susan & John Hart Defendants. Dr. Biggs sold the property to Mr. Keedy on 10 January, 1846.
[Presumably this is from Aaron Kretzer’s estate; need to check the Equity case to verify.]
Elizabeth & Harriet Good bought from Jacob Good
15 December, 1852 (recorded 22 December, Liber IN 7, folio 281-2)
[northwest 1/3] Part of Lot 1, with buildings, improvements, ways, waters, water courses, rights...at the South East corner of the public square, being what Jacob bought from John A. Mantz and wife, Alexander Hill and Jarvis Spencer, as trustees, to pay the annual quit Rent. Before J.P.’s Daniel Grim and Jeremiah Kuhn. [For the west half, based on the chain back from the Masonic Lodge, Liber LBN 2, folio 839-40..]
John Grise bought from William Logan Esquire Sheriff
January 28th 1857 (recorded January 29th, Liber IN 11(56), folio 548-9)
[SW corner plus parcel on east side, b/o 1833 deed] A part of Lot 1 adjoining the property of Good and others, with a two-story log house occupied by Jeremiah Kuhn, and also a 56˝ x 60-foot-deep part of Lot 34 with a one story house, adjoining the property of J.H. Grove and Durff’s heirs, “on Antietam Street” [modern Mechanic St., which was called “the street from the Square to the Antietam Iron Works” in other deeds back then.] Mr. Logan signed as “Late Sheriff.”
The properties had been seized to settle debts owed by Jeremiah Kuhn and David B. Louders, of Kuhn & Louders late of Washington Co. Three Circuit Courts had been held: the 4th Monday in July, 1854, finding for Henry Granger against “Jeremiah Kuhn late of Washington County yeoman” for $600; another on the same date for Charles M. Daugherty and Samuel Orendorff, partners of Daugherty & Orendorff, against Kuhn & Lauders for $300; and the third on the 4th Monday of November 1855 for Bayley Keys against Kuhn & Lauders for $1000, each suit for “nonperformance of a certain promise.” [Note: a Jeremiah Kuhn was Justice of the Peace for the John Benner and John Highberger purchases in Lot 34 during the next 17 months. The same guy??]
Mr. Grise was the highest bidder at the public sale. He paid in hand $5 to Sheriff Logan to effect this sale. [Separately he mortgaged the merchandise and shelves of Mr. Kuhn’s store, maybe a general store, based on the description (Liber I.N. 11(56), folio 548-9).]
Susan Kuhn bought from John & Mary Grice
1857 (recorded July 28, 1857, Liber I.N. No. 12, folio 470-1)
[SW corner] Two parcels from Lot 1, one with no size given, the other 48x23’, with buildings; “all that part of a lot of ground in Sharpsburg known as No. 1...being the-same part of lot No. 1 which was conveyed by Jacob Grove to Josiah Good by indenture bearing the date of the 20 of March 1817 also another [illegible] of said lot No. 1 adjoining there described premises 48 feet in length and 23 feet in breadth being part of the purchase said Josiah Good made of John Hedrick [the east half of the lot] by indenture bearing date 26 day of March 1814 as by reference being had to the said two indentures may more fully and at large appear together with all and singular buildings and improvements...”
Eureka Lodge No. 105 of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons bought from William T. Hamilton, Trustee
15 July 1868 (recorded 25 August, Liber LBN 2, folio 839-40)
For “the purchase money”
 Part of Lot 1 [northwest 1/3] with buildings, situate on the SE corner of the public square, fronting on the square 53’, and running back the same width 147’ 6” along Mechanic street. Had been conveyed by Jacob Good to Elizabeth and Harriet Good in Liber I.N. 7, folio 281.
Mr. Hamilton was appointed Trustee
to sell the land by decree of
Mayberry C. Beeler bought from William H. Nicodemus, Executor for Susan Kuhn of Frederick Co.
1892 (recorded April 21, 1892, Liber 98, folio 594)
[SW corner] (deed does not mention house) [from HSS]
Mary Cornelia Beeler bought from Mayberry C. Beeler
1898 (recorded April 12, 1898, Liber 108, folio 332)
[SW corner] for house and lot
J.W. Ward bought from Thomas F. & Anna Kerfoot
1917 (recorded June 21, 1917, Liber 151, folio 583)
 [from HSS]
Cora M. Rogers bought from John W. & Maude G. Ward
1924 (recorded March 18, 1924, Liber 167, folio 621)
 [from HSS]
John H. & Maude C. Ward bought from Cora M. Rogers
1924 (recorded March 18, 1924, Liber 167, folio 622)
 [from HSS. Middle initials really different from the preceding deed?? No note if this is a reconveyance or a mortgage or what]
Elmer G. & Daisy Boyer bought from John W. & Maude C. Ward
2 February 1926 (recorded ___, Liber 173, folio 425)
 Two parcels: see 1966 deed below.
James E. Poffenberger bought from ___
1940’s (recorded ___, Liber 232, folio 38)
 Lot of 3,604 sq. ft, and 2-story frame house with basement, 1,536 sq. ft. [from SDAT]
Gladys P. Alderton, Mary Margaret Stockslager, and Kathleen McGraw (as tenants in common) bought from Lillie M. Mongan (widow)
12 November 1953 (recorded ___, Liber 278, folio 625)
 Two parcels: see 1962 deed below.
Ira Paul & Laura V. Stockslager bought from Gladys P. & Edward Alderton, Mary Margaret Stockslager (widow), and Kathleen & Charles H. McGraw (all of Washington County)
31 January 1962 (recorded 1 February, 1962, Liber 376, folio 672-3)
 Two parcels with improvements:
Parcel No. 1: beginning 106’ from SE corner of the Public Square, which is the NW corner of the Masonic Hall, 41˝’ along Mechanic St. to property now or formerly owned by Mayberry C. Beeler, then East 53’ along the N line of this property to the Western line of the property of Cherokee Tribe No. 21, Improved Order of Red Men, then N 41˝’ with this Western line, and West 53’ to beginning, containing 8 sq. perches, “being also the Southern portion of Lot No. 1...”
Parcel No. 2: contiguous with 1, beginning 106.4’ S of the NW corner of the lot owned by the Red Men, which is the NE corner of Eureka Lodge No. 120, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons’ Building, East 44˝’, South 41˝’, West 44˝’, and N 41˝’ to beginning.
Owen W. & Frances Boyer bought from Daisy Gloss Boyer (widow of Elmer G. Boyer)
5 May 1966 (recorded 13 June, 1966, Liber 441, folio 786)
For $1 and natural love and affection
 Reserving for herself a life interest:
Parcel 1, house and lot on
the East side of
Parcel 2, 46˝ x 24’ adjoining.
Reserving “a life interest in the aforesaid property with the right and privilege during my lifetime to the use thereof and all rents and emoluments therefrom.”
Robert Mongan Stockslager and Natlie R. Adams (as Joint Tenants With right of Survivorship) bought from Ira Paul & Laura V. Stockslager
26 January 1967 (recorded 30 March, Liber 452, folio 776)
 Two parcels with improvements, as described in the 1962 deed.
William J. Dwyer, Trustee, bought from Robert Mongan Stockslager and Natlie R. Adams
9 February 1968 (recorded 14 February, Liber 466, folio 530)
For $1 (one)
 Two parcels with improvements, as described in the 1967 deed. In Trust to Mr. Dwyer for the purpose of creating a tenancy in the entireties in Robert Mongan & Louella M. Stockslager.
S. Bobby & Phyllis R. Clipp bought from Owen W. & Frances Boyer
2 April 1971 (recorded same day, Liber 520, folio 426)
 Two parcels with house, as described in the 1966 deed.
Vincent R. Groh, Trustee, bought from Robert Mongan & Louella M. Stockslager
1 November 1972 (recorded 28 November, Liber 551, folio 717)
 For the purpose of reconveyance, two parcels with improvements, as described in the 1968 deed. [It says that the Liber 466, folio 530 conveyed the property to the Stockslagers, but it didn’t. There may be a subsequent deed which did.]
Vincent R. Groh, Trustee for the Purpose of reconveyance bought from Robert Mongan Stockslager
31 January 1973 (recorded 7 February, Liber 554, folio 746)
 Two parcels with improvements, as described in the 1972 deed.
Robert Mongan Stockslager and Natalie R. & Richard S. Adams bought from Vincent R. Groh, Trustee
31 January 1973 (recorded 7 February, Liber 554, folio 747)
 Two parcels with improvements, as described in the 1972 deed.
Roy J. & Janet A. Hamilton bought from Natalie R. Adams
14 April 1978 (recorded same day, Liber 657, folio 808)
 Two parcels with improvements, as described in the 1973 deed. Richard Adams and Robert Stockslager had departed this life.
Roy J. Hamilton bought from Roy J. Hamilton
___ 1980 (recorded 17 December, Liber 711, folio 119)
 2-story house of 2,792 sq. ft, on lot 4,290 sq. ft., an improved arms-length deed [from SDAT]
Eureka Masonic Temple Association, Inc. of Washington Co. Md. bought from Eureka Lodge No. 105 of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Washington Co. Md.
4 February 1981 (recorded 11 February, Liber 712, folio 1030)
For no consideration
The rectangle exactly enclosing the Masonic Lodge building, beginning at the intersection of the East marginal line of Mechanic St. and the South marginal line of Main St., being the corner of the existing 2-story brick building, running along the South marginal line of Main St. and the North face of the building N 71° 00’ East 53.05’ to the Northernmost corner of the building, along the East face S 19° 00’ East 61.1’ to a point, thence parallel with Main St. to and along the South face S 71° 00’ West 531.05’ [sic] to the SW corner of the building and to the East marginal line of Mechanic St., and along this marginal line and the West face N 19° 00’ West 61.1’ to the beginning; enclosing 3214 sq. ft. more or less.
Being the remainder of the parcel conveyed by William T. Hamilton, Trustee, to Lodge No. 105 in the 1868 deed.
Signed by Marvin E. Printz for Lodge 105, witnessed by Page T. Otto.
This property had been surveyed by J. Harold Seibert, dated January 23, 1981.
Medairy Masonic Temple Association, Inc. bought from Eureka Masonic Temple Association, Inc. (both Maryland Corporations)
15 August 1995 (recorded 13 September, Liber 1230, folio 83-90)
For no consideration
The Masonic Lodge building property as described in 1981, adding a reference to the improvements thereon. This is a confirmatory deed, to correct misspellings of the Grantee’s name “and other minor technical errors.”
“The Grantor Corporation is being voluntarily dissolved pursuant to Articles of Dissolution.” This is per Section 3-410 of the Corporations and Associations Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland. It was signed by the Grantors duly authorized Board of Directors: Marvin E. Printz, Director/President, Paul Ruffner, Director/Vice President, Gary L Gruber, Director/Secretary, Steven L. Heffner, Jr., Director/Treasurer, William L. Kidweiler, Director, and Timothy W. Williams, Director.
Included is a State of Maryland Land Instrument Intake Sheet which lists the Medairy Masonic Temple Association, Inc. as Grantee, and also Ronald L. Milburn. It says this will not be the Grantee’s principal residence, and that the transfer includes no personal property. An Addendum sheet gives Mr. Milburn as Grantor and Jefferson Security Bank as Grantee.
Ronald L. Milburn bought from Medairy Masonic Temple Association, Inc.
___ 1995 (recorded 13 September, Liber 1230, folio 91)
[100 E. Main] [Northwest corner of] Lot 1, 54 x 61’, [the Masonic Lodge building], on 3,294sq. ft. of land, a structure enclosing 4,074 sq. ft. [from SDAT]
Roy J. Hamilton and Sherrill Lynn Roberts bought from Roy J. Hamilton
___ 1997 (recorded 21 July, Liber 1349, folio 204)
[107 S. Mechanic] 2-story house of 2,792 sq. ft, on lot 4,290 sq. ft., a not arms-length deed [from SDAT]
100 East Main St LLC bought from Ronald L. Milburn
___ 2004 (recorded 1 January 2004, Liber 2229, folio 686)
[100 E. Main] The old Masonic Lodge building as in 1995 [from SDAT]